Skip to main content Braille Voter Guide

Instructions to Alabama UOCAVA Voters

In 2009, Congress enacted important changes concerning absentee voting under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42 U.S.C. § 1973ff et seq. (UOCAVA) and the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act, Pub. L. No. 111‐84, Subtitle H, §§ 575‐589, 123 Stat. 2195, 2318‐2335 (2009) (MOVE Act).

Alabama citizens who are members of the Uniformed Services or their family members, Merchant Marines, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Alabama overseas citizens (also known as UOCAVA voters) have two options as to how they can receive their blank absentee ballots   1) by electronic transmission; or (2) by U.S. mail. To request election transmission of the blank ballot, UOCAVA voters must mark the appropriate box and provide an email address on the State of Alabama “UOCAVA Application for Absentee Ballot” available from the Secretary of State’s web site ( They may also mark “email/online” and provide an email address on the Federal Post Card Application available from their Voting Assistance Officer or from the web site of the Federal Voting Assistance Program (

UOCAVA voters also have expanded options for returning the voted absentee ballot. The ballot may be returned by U.S. Mail or by a commercial air or ground carrier. Please note that if returning the ballot by commercial air or ground carrier, the date the ballot is tendered to the carrier is considered the postmark date. UOCAVA voters should ensure that their ballot is postmarked or tendered to the commercial carrier by the deadline indicated on the above calendar for the election in which they are casting a ballot.

UOCAVA voters are no longer required to have the affidavit envelope accompanying their ballot notarized. However, the affidavit on the envelope must be witnessed by two persons 18 years of age or older.

UOCAVA voters may find additional information on absentee voting on the Internet from the Office of the Secretary of State at or from the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) at fvap.govPlease note that the FVAP website provides information for UOCAVA voters only.

Contact the Secretary of State by clicking here.

Crowd Control Tracking Pixel