Fun Facts about Alabama
1. Birmingham is home to The Vulcan, which is the world's largest cast iron statue. The Vulcan is 56 feet tall and weighs 120,000 pounds.
2. Alabama's Constitution has over 100,000 words and more than 700 amendments, making it one of the longest in the United States.
3. In Scottsboro, you'll find the Unclaimed Baggage Center, which buys lost luggage from airlines.
4. Mt. Cheaha is Alabama's highest point at 2,407 feet
above sea level.
5. The first rocket to put humans on the moon was built in Huntsville, Alabama.
6. The first 911 call in the United States was made in Haleyville, Alabama on February 16, 1968.
7. A monument to the boll weevil can be found in Enterprise, Alabama. The monument reminds viewers of the role that the boll weevil played in encouraging farmers to grow crops other than cotton.
8. Mail is delivered by boat in Magnolia Springs, Alabama. This city has the only all-water mail route in the United States.
9. Shelby County holds the record for fastest Habitat for Humanity homebuilding. Professionals built the house in 3 hours, 26 minutes, and 34 seconds.
10. The first football game between the University of Alabama and the Auburn University was played on February 22, 1893.